Matthew Cooke – Chairperson
Matthew is a proud Aboriginal and South Sea Islander from the Bailai (Byellee) people in Gladstone, Central Queensland.
Matthew was elected as Deputy Chair of the National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO) in 2011, then appointed as Chairperson in November 2014. He was previously the CEO of Nhulundu Wooribah Indigenous Health Organisation Inc, the Aboriginal Medical Service in Gladstone, for more than 6 years. During this time Matthew served as the Deputy Chair and Secretary of the Queensland Aboriginal and Islander Health Council (QAIHC). In 2012 Matthew was appointed as the Indigenous Affairs Manager for Bechtel Australia, a renowned worldwide engineering, procurement and construction company. Recently, Matthew stood down from the QAIHC Board of Directors to fulfil the acting CEO role of QAIHC.
In 2007 Matthew was named Young Leader in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health and in 2008 received the Deadly Vibe Young Leader award.
Matthew’s active involvement spans all four levels of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Controlled Health Sector – national, state, regional and local.
Current Leadership roles within the Aboriginal and Islander Community Controlled Health Sector:
- Chairperson of National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO), including the Chair role of the Finance & Audit Committee.
- Chief Executive Officer of the Queensland Aboriginal and Islander Health Council (QAIHC, State Affiliate Body).
- Former Deputy Chairperson and long-serving Director of Queensland Aboriginal and Islander Health Council (QAIHC).
- Former CEO and current Director of Nhulundu Wooribah Indigenous Health Organisation Incorporated (Gladstone AMS).
- Inaugural Chairperson and current Director of Central Queensland Regional Aboriginal and Islander Community Controlled Health Organisation (CQRIACCHO).
Other Leadership roles;
- Native Title Applicant and Trustee Director for the Port Curtis Coral Coast Native Title Claimant group, in Central Queensland.
- Director of Bailai Aboriginal Corporation for Land & Culture.
- Committee Member of the Regional Development Australia – Fitzroy Central West Queensland.
- Committee Member of the Commonwealth Department of Health OCHREstreams Advisory Committee.
For media interviews please contact: email@example.com