The image in the feature tile is of the Aboriginal Medical Service set up in July 1971 in Redfern to provide free medical support to Aboriginal peoples. It was the first Aboriginal community-run medical service in Australia and took a holistic approach to health care. Credit: National Archives of Australia.
NACCHO commemorates milestone ACCHO anniversaries
At this years’ National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO) Members’ Conference and AGM, NACCHO is proud to celebrate a number of Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations (ACCHOs) across Australia for reaching milestone anniversaries.
NACCHO Chairperson, Donnella Mills stated “It is incredible to recognise 20 of our 144 ACCHOs for over 25 years of service to their communities. I would like to call out Aboriginal Medical Service Redfern for their remarkable achievement of 51 years of service.
“We acknowledge the work and success of these wonderful organisations and congratulate them on these important milestones. Their ongoing service and commitment mean our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples will continue to be supported in culturally appropriate environments, often by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Ms Mills further added, “Our theme for the conference this year—Honour the Past, Prepare for the Future—recognises that Australia is home to the world’s oldest continuing living culture, with powerful traditions and values to draw on. It also acknowledges more than 50 years of the Aboriginal Community Controlled health sector, since the first service, Redfern AMS was founded in1971. At this conference reflect on these successes and explore the abundance of opportunities for continuing this great story.”
NACCHO CEO, Pat Turner stated, “NACCHO is proud to have a membership of 144 ACCHOs with more than 50 years of cultural experience, knowledge, and capability in delivering comprehensive primary health care to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. I would like to congratulate and thank the ACCHOs for reaching milestone anniversaries. Without our ACCHOs, we would not have culturally appropriate and accessible health care.”
NACCHO recognised the following ACCHOs on reaching the below milestones, during the last three financial years:
- (Redfern) Aboriginal Medical Service Co-operative Limited (NSW)
- Biripi Aboriginal Corporation Medical Centre (NSW)
- Walhallow Aboriginal Corporation (NSW)
- Rumbalara Aboriginal Co-operative Limited (VIC)
- Wathaurong Aboriginal Co-operative Limited (VIC)
- Bulgarr Ngaru Medical Aboriginal Corporation (NSW)
- Coomealla Aboriginal Health Corporation (NSW)
- Ampilatwatja Health Centre Aboriginal Corporation (NT)
- Danila Dilba Biluru Binnilutlum Health Service Aboriginal Corporation (NT)
- Miwatj Health Aboriginal Corporation (NT)
- Ramahyuck District Aboriginal Corporation (VIC)
- Winda-Mara Aboriginal Corporation (VIC)
- Gurrinyi Yealamucka (Good Healing) Health Services Aboriginal Corporation (QLD)
- Mamu Health Service Limited (QLD)
- Tamworth Aboriginal Medical Service Inc (NSW)
- Tobwabba Aboriginal Medical Service (NSW)
- Yoorana Gunya Family Healing Centre Aboriginal Corporation (NSW)
- The North Coast Aboriginal Corporation for Community Health (Qld)
- Derby Aboriginal Health Service Council Aboriginal Corporation (WA)
- South-West Aboriginal Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation (WA)
Each of the 20 member services being recognised received commemorative certificates at this year’s NACCHO Members’ Conference, an annual gathering of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health sector leaders from across the country. NACCHO recognises the dedication and support required by community members, partners, and government to keep the services running.
You can view the NACCHO media release NACCHO commemorating milestone anniversaries of Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations – Taking care of generations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities for over half a century! in full on the NACCHO website here.