Professional Development Scholarships for nurses and midwives working in an Aboriginal Medical Service (AMS)
The scheme is an Australian Government initiative seeking to support registered and enrolled nurses working in an AMS to undertake professional development at an Australian university or registered training organisation (RTO).
Applications for NAHSSS: PD for 2013 are now open and will close 14 September 2012 at 12am EST.
Click here to apply.
Value of scholarship
Scholarships are worth up to $15 000 each.
Applicants commencing continuing professional development activities may receive up to $15 000 per scholarship for a one year study period. These funds are intended to assist the recipients in meeting the cost of their chosen activity.
Applicants commencing or continuing postgraduate studies may receive up to a maximum of $15 000 for one year full time or two years part time study.
Scholarships will be awarded as a contribution toward the cost of accessing postgraduate or continuing professional development study. The scholarship is not retrospective, funding will not be provided for any study completed prior to the beginning of the scholarship application period.
Applicants must be:
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- an enrolled nurse, registered nurse or registered midwife with current Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) registration
- delivering clinical services
- currently employed in an Aboriginal Medical Service.
Applicants also must meet one or more of the following:
- participating in an activity that is eligible to accrue Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as prescribed by the NMBA
- studying or intending to study a postgraduate course at an Australian university, registered training organisation or other accredited provider.
Courses must be provided by Australian universities or registered training organisations. The course selected must provide the student with greater skills and knowledge in a field of direct relevance to nursing or midwifery.
- short courses
- graduate certificate
- graduate diploma
The following courses are not considered eligible for a NAHSSS: Professional Development for nurses working in an Aboriginal Medical Service scholarship:
- masters by research
- entry level nursing and midwifery courses
- activities outside of Australia (including face to face, on line or external study).
Scholarships are to fund individual recipients for continuing professional development or postgraduate activities. Persons seeking to deliver continuing professional development activities to a health professional group are not eligible to apply.
Scholarships will be awarded on the recommendation of a selection committee and will be based on how you address the following criteria:
- How the chosen course or activity will relate to their work in an Aboriginal Medical Service.
- How the chosen course or activity will benefit the health of Indigenous Australians.
- Outline their commitment to utilise their skills and knowledge with Indigenous Australian communities in the future.
If you are a New Zealand citizen, please click here to determine your eligibility for this scholarship.
Confirmation of Aboriginality form (if applicable)
Further professional development
How these scholarship payments may affect Centrelink payments
Taxation implications of receiving one of these scholarships
Need more information?
For clarification of your eligibility under this scheme please contact RCNA.
e Please email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
freecall 1800 117 262