AMA President, Dr Steve Hambleton, said today that the National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO) Blueprint – Male Healthy Futures for Generational Change – contains important initiatives in national efforts to improve the health of Aboriginal men.
Dr Hambleton welcomed the focus on the health of Aboriginal men as part of broader approach to improving Indigenous health.
“Much of the health inequality between Aboriginal Australians and other Australians is due to the poor health and lower life expectancy of Aboriginal men,” Dr Hambleton said.
“The NACCHO Blueprint outlines a set of practical and achievable proposals for the delivery of culturally appropriate comprehensive primary health care to Aboriginal men.
“The AMA urges governments to support these proposals with long-term funding.
“The mental health of Aboriginal men must be a priority.
“Programs and services that address emotional and social wellbeing and suicide prevention
must be supported and enhanced.
“The AMA believes that mainstream health services should be attuned to the cultural needs of Aboriginal men.
“In mainstream health services where there is a significant potential Aboriginal patient population, governments should fund appropriate facilities to accommodate the cultural needs of Aboriginal male patients.
“The AMA congratulates NACCHO for producing this Blueprint and for its ongoing commitment to improving the health of Aboriginal Australians,” Dr Hambleton said.
CONTACT: John Flannery 02 6270 5477 / 0419 494 761
Kirsty Waterford 02 6270 5464 / 0427 209 753
Follow the AMA Media on Twitter
Follow the AMA President on Twitter
Follow Australian Medicine on Twitter
Like the AMA on Facebook
- NACCHO OCHRE DAY:The new generation of Aboriginal males is making generational changes (nacchocommunique.com)
- NACCHO male health news alert – NACCHO calls for male-only Aboriginal health clinics (nacchocommunique.com)
- NACCHO launches Aboriginal Male Health 10 point Blueprint 2013-2030 (nacchocommunique.com)
- NACCHO Male Health event alert:NACCHO OCHRE DAY Canberra 8 August registrations close 26 July (nacchocommunique.com)
- NACCHO NATSIHP news: $12 billion Aboriginal health plan to be launched today (nacchocommunique.com)